So this is the mural I painted on the bedroom wall of my baby cousin as part of a present for his third birthday. Here, I will take you through my steps of progression for completion of the mural.
I was asked to do the mural with 4 members of the Avengers team. Good choices, if I may say so. 🙂 Below is the initial concept sketch I drew in Photoshop.
I was given roughly an 7′ x 7′ square in which to fit the characters. I first took my concept sketch and redrew it in the space given on the bedroom wall with a 4B pencil. It might be a bit hard to see here, though I bumped up the contrast some in Photoshop for visibility. I didn’t use a grid or any specific transfer techniques for the wall drawing–just freehand, stepping back often to make sure I got proportions right. You can see that I changed placement of the characters slightly from digital sketch to wall, moving them more closely together to fit the space better.
In the series of images below, you can see my stages of progression. I used acrylic paints for this, and…well this is the first painting I had done in about 13 years (and the first wall mural I’ve ever done), so I was developing technique as I went. But, focusing on Captain America in the painting, you can see I put down some base color first (image 1), and then applied black for shadows (image 2). I then started to go over the basic shadow/render, blending between colors and adding highlights and detail. In the last step here, you can see that I skip ahead to a full render of the Hulk (image 5), having changed his base color entirely (which was originally olive, I believe), wanting something lighter and closer to a true green.
Detail shot of this stage.
Having finished all of the characters, I hadn’t originally planned a background for the image…but I had to do something with the white box that surrounded the group, so I just painted a sort of explosion with white paint. (Below)
The white explosion was leaving the piece looking a bit unfinished, however, so I elaborated upon it with some red, orange, and yellow. I think it finishes the piece nicely. 🙂